10 Must-Haves For A New Mother
by Totspot Team
A few weeks ago, we asked our Facebook friends what a new mother absolutely needs before the arrival of her first baby. Honestly, we were expecting answers to range from swaddle blankets to amazing bottles – basically things you could order off of Amazon. But our mommy friends actually had very different ideas, indicting that our Facebook friends are probably amazing friends in real life.
Maybe we spend so much time trying to get our new mommy friend the right things, we forget that she may just need friend (who can give her a swaddle blanket too). Ahead, we discuss 10 things that every new mother needs before her baby arrives, mostly suggested straight from mothers themselves.
1. Rest. When our Facebook friend Meenu answered with “rest,” one might’ve thought she was joking. But motherhood is an entirely new adventure for a mom, and it’s a tiresome one, especially when your baby is brand spanking new. If there’s any load you can take off the mom-to-be, do it.
2. A Freezer Full of Homemade Food. Why didn’t we think of that? Facebook friend Edenezjia said “Food made with love is the best thing in the work after the birth of a child,” and we completely agree. Now that’s friendship.
3. A Swaddle Blanket. Okay, we’ve mentioned “swaddle blanket” so many times now, you had to imagine that we’d go there eventually. Swaddling a newborn is daunting and maybe even a little scary, but it’s so necessary. This blanket will help you get there.
4. A Gift Certificate to a Photography Studio. Another why-didn’t-we-think-of-that, our friend Meredith suggested a gift certificate to get baby photographed, and we think that’s beautiful. In a way, you’ll always be a part of a family portrait session you helped happen, and mommy and daddy may have been much too bogged down with nappies and nap time to get around to buying and booking it themselves.
5. Snacks. Justine, who also recommended the swaddle blanket, suggested a basket of healthy and high protein snacks as well as vitamins for mom. After all, mama needs to treat herself well so she can take care of baby.
6. A Bouncer. This mamaRoo bouncer has five different motions and can either play nature sounds or connect to an MP3 player. It’s a great way to be able to set baby down if you need to do something and he wants to rocked.
7. An Arm’s Reach Co-sleeper. Our Facebook friend Jodie said “For a must-have I would say an arms reach co-sleeper. It has storage, easy roll casters and it fits through doors, unlike the pack-n-play. Out of everything we had that is my #1 recommendation to all new parents.” It’s basically a sidecar for your bed and is pretty critically acclaimed. You can’t argue with the smile on the happy baby below!
8. Oversized Pajamas. When Facebook friend Ester mentioned this, we were all on board. Mama needs to be able to do everything she has to do comfortably. Ester mentioned oversized jersey pajamas, but we just think you should get whatever is most comfortable for you. One of our dearest mama friends loves her fleece snowman pajamas set, and we are all for whatever she loves.
9. I-Just-Have-Birth New Mommy Care Package. What does this include? “Things like granny panties, thin maxi pads, hemorrhoid cream, Motrin, hot/cold packs etc.” said our mommy friend, Jodi. “I had an emergency c-section 6 weeks early so I was completely unprepared for the birth, the hospital, bringing the baby home…everything. I was so thankful to my family and friends that came together and helped me get it together.”
10. A Chic Diaper Bag. She’s going to have it at her side just as much as she has the baby in her arms – you might as well make sure her diaper bag is chic! Click the image to go to the listing.